Whitton village hall
Whitton village hall is located opposite St John the Baptist Church and both have excellent views across the Humber estuary. The original stone and brick structure was built as a National School in 1864 with a single schoolroom, a porch and coalhouse and was funded by Lady Strickland (née Mary Constable). It became a Public Elementary School in 1893 and offered free education to children between the ages of 3 and 13 years old. The school closed on 17 March 1943 when its pupils were sent to nearby Alkborough School and was officially passed to the Village Custodian Trustees in 1973 as a registered charity. To visit the photo gallery Click Here
St. John the Baptist Church
The church at Whitton is classed as a historic treasure and dates back to 1200 AD and is on the Northern Lincolnshire Heritage & Church trail. More information can be found on the website www.churchtrails.com. The lower parts of the church tower, the archway into the nave and the octagonal font are of Norman origin and the walls were built with reused massive Roman stone blocks. The church was largely rebuilt in 1798 and between 1892 to 1897 the nave, chancel and roof were entirely rebuilt. The stained glass windows on the north wall were installed in 1918 to commemorate the death of local man Henry Spilman who was killed in the First World War. To visit the photo gallery Click Here.
Local NEWS Update
WINTER COAT APPEAL…….THANK YOU FOR BEING SO GENEROUS! In early January a short article in the Shooting & Conservation Magazine about the BASC supporting the Winter Coats Appeal run by WWW.CountryCoats2Syria.org.uk caught Sue & Sam Drons attention. Like most people they didn’t realise how cold it is in Winter in Syria and that the majority of the nine million displaced Syrians, many like us from rural communities, want nothing more than to return home and rebuild their lives and nation. Read More…